Thursday, April 15, 2010

SLEEP...


We live in a sleep-deprived world. There are many life-altering problems associated with sleep deprivation. In this book, families are challenged to look at their sleep habits and make positive changes.

My favorite quote from this book is “The family that sleeps well, lives well”. Oh how true this statement is. My family has gone through various phases of sleeping patterns, from staying up way too late to crashing very early in the evening. After reading this book, I am definitely going to be more intentional about healthy sleep patterns for myself and my children.

In this book, I learned good sleep habits are taught from a very early age. Right now, my 3 sons have pretty regular sleep habits and I am very thankful for that. One concept new to me was the idea of a “Sleep Bank”. Just like any bank, deposits and withdrawals are made. When you sleep, you are making a bank deposit, and when you are awake, you are making a withdrawal. The idea is to always have a positive balance in the bank.

One topic I also enjoyed were the categories of “Sleep Killers”. These included: stress, anxiety/worry, caffeine, and depression. As a busy wife and mom I am prone to all of these at some point or another in my life. So now that I have ways to keep these in check, I will definitely put it into practice.

*Tyndale Publishing provided me with a free copy of this book to review.

No comments: