Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mothering

This week one of the boys came running off the bus sobbing. The gut wrenching hyperventilating cries that breaks a momma's heart. He wouldn't tell me what happened. Just that two people made fun of him. He didn't know their names or where they lived, just that they made fun of him and he was sad! And I was mad. Mad that someone would make my son cry. Mad that I couldn't make it right. Mad that this will be the first of many times someone makes him cry. Then I found this picture. This was a happy day when no one made him cry. And I have to believe (just like the wall above him says) that everything will be okay.
And then I found this quote in a book I was reading. Mothering is tough work, but so worth it!

I am your mother, the first mile of your road. Me and all my obvious and hidden limitations. That means that in addition to possibly wrecking you, I have the chance to give to you what was given to me: a decent childhood, more good memories than bad, some values, a sense of a tribe, a run at happiness. You can’t imagine how seriously I take that - even as I fail you. Mothering you is the first thing of consequence that I have ever done. LIFE ~Kelly Corrigan



No comments: