Monday, July 6, 2015

Small Town Living

My teenage son has a bad habit of losing things!  {Especially things that have just been purchased.}  A few weeks ago he was headed to a team basketball camp with the Varsity and JV teams.  He decided he needed to upgrade his wallet.  In other words, he graduated from the canvas velcro wallet to the $12 leather wallet from the Walmart.

He headed to basketball camp with all his stuff and his new wallet with the spending money I gave him for snacks and food while traveling.  He ended up spending all the money I gave him {no surprise there}, but he came home without his wallet.  It took about 6 days to discover this fact.  So I told him to ask the coach if he could look on the bus for his wallet.  The next week, the girls basketball team rode the same buses, and I told him to text a friend of his and ask her to look for his wallet in the seat.  He decided he was way too cool to do either of my suggestions.  I told him no way was I paying for another wallet.

I thought about calling the bus department on the small chance that someone had found it and turned it in.  He thought that was a ridiculous idea.  He told me to just give up on the wallet.  This is where the part of living in a small town comes in very handy!  This Sunday at church a lady (who also happens to live in our neighborhood) flagged me down to tell me she had Noah's wallet!  One of the gals who cleaned the bus found his wallet and turned it in.  And my teenage son was smart enough to put his library card {with his name on it} in the wallet.  And the $1.27 he had left over was still in there!  The wallet was recovered today, so that's one less thing I have to look for, and one less thing to hound my teenager about.  That's a win for all of us!

No comments: