Thursday, October 4, 2012

When is it ever enough?

 A few months ago I was upstairs plugging away at my elliptical machine.  I have really gotten my moneys worth since January when I bought it.  I told myself that if I was going to buy a large piece of exercise equipment, I was going to use it!  So I have faithfully been exercising since January, except for the two weeks when I thought I was going to die. But I am back in the saddle again.

I have watched a lot of mindless television during the 30 to 40 minutes I exercise each night.  But there is one thing that I will remember for a very long time.  I happened to be flipping through channels and stopped on the OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) to watch Oprah interviewing Paula Deen.  What an interesting interview.  They were cracking me up with all their silly chatter and they even jumped on a trampoline in their pajamas.

The one thing that I will remember is when they got all serious and Oprah started asking Paula questions.  It went something like this.

Oprah: "When did you know everything was going to be okay for you and your boys?"

Paula: "When I still had money to go out and buy groceries the Wednesday before payday Friday."

Wow!  Talk about an eye opening conversation.  There have been times when my husband and I had extra money (when we were young, I worked two jobs, and he had a construction job with lots of perks!).  And there were times when it felt like we were broke (paying college tuition, medical bills, and just the craziness of life).  So I am no longer going to look at my savings account (or lack thereof), my retirement fund, or the college accounts (which we need to work on).  If we have money in the checkbook on Wednesday before payday Friday, we are doing just as well as Paula Deen!!

No comments: